It’s easy to take good vision for granted—until something goes wrong. Your eyesight is just like your body—you will experience degenerative changes as you age. The vision you are born with is not the same vision you have at 16, 35 or 50.
While there are many very successful and effective techniques for treating vision problems, prompt detection and early treatment are the best assurances for healthy eyes. Following are actions you can take to help solve vision problems before they become critical:
- Schedule regular check-ups with an ophthalmologist
- Educate yourself regarding potential vision issues
- Take sensible precautions to protect and preserve your sight, such as sunglasses for UV protection and protective goggles in appropriate environments
- Maintain proper care of your contacts
Atlantis Eyecare has everything necessary to meet all your eye care needs. We provide a full range of products and services at our Huntington Beach optometry to promote healthy vision for life. Our team is committed to giving you exceptional care through our general experience, multispecialty staff, advanced technology, clinical research and the many years of dedication to delivering the best eye care available.
Routine Eye Exams
Routine eye exams are an essential part of eye maintenance. They detect vision problems, eye diseases and general health problems before symptoms begin to surface. It is very important to know that many eye diseases do not have symptoms and are irreversible. However, they can be prevented from progressing if caught early.
A comprehensive eye exam will consist of:
- Review of your personal and family health history and any history of eye problems
- Evaluation of your distant and near vision with an eye chart
- Evaluation of nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia
- Near vision testing to determine if you have presbyopia and need progressive lenses or bifocals
- Evaluation of your eyes’ ability to work cohesively together
- An eye pressure test and optic nerve evaluation to rule out glaucoma
- Examination of the interior of your eyes to rule out other eye problems, such as cataracts or macular degeneration
- Other tests may include a color blindness test, a vision field test or any other specialized test the doctor feels is necessary
Who Performs Routine Eye Exams
At Atlantis Eyecare, both our Optometrists and Ophthalmologists perform routine eye exams in our convenient Huntington Beach location. Optometrists are trained specifically to diagnose vision problems and treat medical conditions of the eye using eye drops and other medicines. They are not medical doctors and do not perform eye surgery.
Our experienced team of ophthalmologists and optometrists work together to solve every patient’s needs and deliver the best eye care possible.
Preparing for the Eye Exam
For your eye exam, please bring a list of any prescription or non-prescription medications you are currently taking or any that you have taken on a regular basis in the past. Please include any vitamins, herbs and other holistic remedies you may use. Please also include the dosages you take for each medicine or other substance, and how long you have been taking them.
If you currently use corrective lenses, please bring all pairs of eyeglasses you wear routinely. If you wear contacts that were prescribed elsewhere, please bring a copy of your most recent contact lens prescription. In addition, your doctor may dilate your pupils, so please bring sunglasses to wear for the ride home. If you forget to bring a pair, we will have a special pair for you to take home.
We also recommend you bring a list of questions or concerns that you would like to discuss with the doctor. If you are interested in specialty services such as contact lens fittings or LASIK please be sure to mention this—both when you schedule your eye exam and when you check in on exam day.
Lastly, please bring a copy of your vision insurance and/or medical insurance cards.
What Happens After Exam
If the eye exam reveals that your vision is not 20/20, the doctor will usually correct vision with glasses or contact lenses, and can also give you your laser eye surgery options. However, if the doctor finds something in the exam that can indicate an eye disease, they will conduct further testing and develop a treatment plan. Our ophthalmologists and optometrists are among the best in the industry, and almost any vision issue will be corrected. Please give us a call today to schedule the most thorough, caring eye exam in Huntington Beach.